1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greetings from Utah, USA

Discussion in 'New to Our Forum?' started by Rebecca Nielsen, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

Welcome Rebecca, from another northern neighbour! Glad you have joined us. No one has commented.." Hey, she lives in Utah! " She's close to Salt Lake City, everyone!! ( I googled!) :D

Sis, Archie's Mum, Ma-dotcom and 3 others like this.
  2. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Lol, Sue!! Are you planning on sending her into the underground caves where the LDS films are stored?? Maybe Rebecca could knock down a few of our brick walls!! :D:D:D

Sis, Archie's Mum, Doug and 3 others like this.
  3. Rebecca Nielsen

Rebecca Nielsen New Member

My husband's Jamaican roots go back to the Heron family, who are from Scotland. A Heron daughter married an Indian immigrant who was baptized "John Foster Campbell", and there are many descendants of that marriage today, including the former Jamaican Prime Minister, Edward Seaga.

4. Rebecca Nielsen

No idea where the caves are (I'm not a member of the LDS church) but there is the Family History Library here in town. Unfortunately, I rarely get time free to go there.

5. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Apparently the microfiche, etc are inside a mountain for safety. I went to the LDS Family History Centre every week for 10 years or so and someone said the records were well protected, and told me about this mountain.

Must look into Seaga's background bc he is Syrian and not sure where the Scottish/East Indian mix comes in...he lived a block away from my husband's family in an area called Liguanea in Kingston.... interesting. Jimmy Cliff lived around the corner too. Later...

6. Rebecca Nielsen

Apparently it was his mother, Erna Maxwell, who was descended from the Heron/Campbell line. Erna was the daughter of Elizabeth Campbell, daughter of John Foster Campbell and Elizabeth Heron. He and my husband would be, I believe, second cousins twice removed.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 11:00 PM
    Figgs likes this.
  7. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for the history of Edward Seaga.....I had never looked at his background mainly because Ron was not related (I am 5th generation white-bread Canadian, btw). I knew a bit more about his main opposition, Michael Manley, because he and my husband looked very much alike.

Wow.....Mr. Seaga was incredibly accomplished!! I was bowled over by his bio on Wikipedia!! Ron left the Island when he was 19 so knew all about his own family and assorted things, but it was always my opinion that Seaga was quite reserved and quiet. I guess so.....never realized how many things he did.