Help needed please, wife's 1st name

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Findem, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Just curious Derek, have you had your DNA tested?

2. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

No, why do you ask? :)

3. Ma-dotcom

Today Derek I was full on hunting through families to try to sort out a DNA connection. While on 1939 a Theobald couple were in the two lines above the people I was looking at. Now can't for the life of me remember which family it was, pretty sure it was at West Ham tho'.

Findem and Sis like this.
  4. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

I haven't any evidence that any of my Theobald lot were West Ham in 1939 but it wouldn't surprise me at all if some were.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  5. Ma-dotcom

I wish I could refind that register page, I went through so many that day.

Findem likes this.
  6. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

I know quite a few of my lines of other surnames drifted to the West Ham area, I think it was the docks and jobs that drew them there, same thing happened to some of my wife's lines, they went to the nearby Silvertown and Canning town, most to the docks but a couple were gardeners.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  7. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

I might be on the trail of Elizabeth Young, the other day I found on Free Reg an Elizabeth Young daughter of William Young baptised 1663 at Little Dunmow Essex which is pretty close to both Shalford and Stebbing. There were two asterisks preceding the year 1663 which I believe means the day and month were missing or not decipherable.

(Also found Elizabeth Young bap 30 Aug 1664 at Dedham, parents Edward and Rebecca.)

Lt Dunmow baptism, marriage and burial transcripts cover from the mid 1500s to 1819.

This Elizabeth appears to be the only child of William Young baptised in Lt Dunmow, I found no marriage or burial for her in Lt Dunmow, nor a marriage for her father William Young during the period 1600 to 1665.

I did find a couple of baptisms of interest in a parish not too far from Lt Dunmow, Shalford and Stebbing.

William Yonge bap 22 May 1666 at Newport, father William.
    Martha Younge bap 24 Jan 1668 at Newport, parents William and Martha.

Also found these although Dedham is on the other side of Essex up in the north east corner of the Essex and Suffolk border.

William Young bap 16 Sep 1660 at Dedham, parents William and Martha.
    Martha Young bap 9 Dec 1663 at Dedham, parents William and Martha.

I don't quite know what to make of all this at the moment, if John and Elizabeth Willowes had a son named William I would be more confident that the Lt Dunmow Elizabeth Young is the Elizabeth.

The Elizabeth (1664) baptised in Dedham might have been of more interest had not Dedham been so far from Shalford, any further and your in the North Sea :D. John and Elizabeth Willowes named a son Edward.

I'm hoping if I ever find the marriage of John Willowes to Elizabeth ? it might provide a clue to the right Elizabeth, so far I know the marriage is not on Free Reg and Family Search, nor does it come up on the The Genealogist initial search. I had hoped FMP might come to the rescue, I searched on John Willis and Willowes 1600 + - 10 years hoping marriage would come up but I saw nothing likely in the initial search, unless I'm missing something.

I think his 1661 baptism is there under the broad heading "Essex Baptism Index" but that doesn't help, I have his baptism details. A muffled shout of "tell me something I don't already know" didn't help. :mad: :D