Holy Moly!! A fascinating ancestor!!

Discussion in 'Cheshire' started by Figgs, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Kimberly Spence

Kimberly Spence New Member

Small world. My grandfather is listed on that website as Isiah Cooke. He is from the same Cooke family from Chester Castle. His grandfather (Dr. Cooke) had an affair and my greatgrandmoter (Wilhelmina Matilda Cooke) was the result of that union.

GrannyBarb, Sis, Bay Horse and 3 others like this.
  2. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Definitely related!! Nice to meet you. I see you are in Florida....many Jamaicans moved there. Raymond McIntosh who put me onto this tidbit lives there. There is another property called Windsor Forest and my husband used to go there with Tommy Cooke as a teenager. Tommy went to Cuba and escaped when Castro took over.

"Affairs" were very common in Jamaica and I have now met up with 3 descendants of the outside children from this series of posts....one up here, one in New York and now you in Florida!! Amazing how far Jamaicans have spread out....have another in Hawaii. Let me know if I can help. :)

3. Kimberly Spence

Kimberly Spence New Member

Yes, I am sure we are related in some way. My great grandfather went to Cuba as well but his last name was Malcolm. I believe the Malcolm's were also estate owners but in an area named Haddo which is also in Westmoreland. He was not able to return from Cuba and we don't know much about that side of the family.

Figgs likes this.
  4. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

No, it is very difficult to get any sort of info out of Cuba. One of Ron's great-uncles was taken there in the early 1900's as the parents both died.....another Figueroa took them to his home as it was common to work in Cuba in those days. I got lucky because another Figueroa told me he trained as a dentist in the US and I found his school records and Immigration papers and they gave me his "father", his wife's name and where he lived......Havana.

Tommy Cooke got out with his mother and nephew because he worked for an airline, but it still took 2 years as the seats were solidly booked.

Ron remembers the name Haddo, but he hasn't lived in Westmoreland for a long, long time. He went to lower school there but moved to boarding school in Kingston at a youngish age. (9 maybe).

5. talk2robb

talk2robb New Member

Sorry to post on an old thread, but I'm trying to research my family and I've hit a brick wall. I'm a Cooke and my family is also from Jamaica. The Cooke name was passed on to my father and then onto me obviously. But the problem is my Grandfather is a complete unknown to me. Unfortunately he died when my father was in his teens and he never met him. I don't have a first name for him, but I do know he had 3 brothers and the family owned a lot of land. I know there is a few Cooke's in here and I'm asking if they could help? I believe my paternal family were from St James, but not entirely sure. Could anyone point me in the right direction for research as I'm getting very frustrated.

Thank you so much in advance.

Regards,

Robert

Figgs likes this.
  6. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Welcome @talk2robb - @Figgs should be along later and hopefully will be able to point you in the right direction for Jamaican research. ;)

talk2robb and Figgs like this.
  7. talk2robb

talk2robb New Member

Thank you for the prompt reply :)

I am getting so frustrated and my grandmother when she was alive couldn't even remember his first name. I think she blocked it out after 40 odd yrs lol

Figgs and Daft Bat like this.
  8. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Hi Robert...I think I am the only Cooke person on here!! My husband is from Jamaica and his best friends, as well as relatives, were Cookes!! I met several of them. Does the name Tommy ring any bells??

When I get to my laptop. I will be able to answer this better. I am Canadian btw, so will have to check a map re St. James area. Any towns you know of?? I remember I put a lot of history out on here re this family...did you read it? I also met another descendant who was not sure re his great grandfather and we put the clues together...he and my husband were cousins!!

I will get back to you once I review all of this...we will find them! :)

Sis, talk2robb and GrannyBarb like this.
  9. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

OK, refreshing my memory. Problem is that the Cookes married with several Coopers and Ron's grandmother is a Cooper. There is probably a thread on here re the Coopers. I will have a look. OK, they are covered on page 1 of this "Holy Moly" thread, lol. Ron's surname is Figueroa, btw.

I found St. James (there used to be 22 parishes, mostly all Saints)....Montego Bay at the top. I see Chester Castle is just southwest of the parish line and that is the biggest of William Hylton Cooke's 3 plantations!! We are getting closer. He also owned the Hermitage and Windsor Forest plantations.

Ron used to visit the one called Windsor Forest when he was in school. There were 3 brothers......Tommy, Richard and William. They would be roughly about 80-90 years old now and all in the US. I have no way of finding out their birthdates due to all 3 being born in Cuba. (It's like pulling teeth to get Ron to remember this sort of thing, lol......but I remember parts and then he fills it in).

I remember meeting Tommy Jr. in 1961 when he escaped from Cuba with his mother and a nephew. I was totally fascinated.....he had 10 days to disappear or go back to Cuba. He was staying with Cooke relatives in Kingston.

So I am busy looking thru my Family Treemaker and I have precious little by way of documentation due to the Cuban situation......but I will take a look at the Family Search site again. Perhaps I will find a tidbit or two. Btw....it was very common for Jamaicans to live and work in Cuba before Castro took over. Close by and more jobs. Panama and Haiti too...a long time ago. So I search for them in those spots as well.

Do you have any more little things you remember?? St. James was a great help because it was the next parish to where Ron grew up (Westmoreland).
    Ron went to grade school in that Parish and then to a private school in Kingston....which is where Hilda Cooke lived.

Let me know if any other little things pop into your mind.....you may be surprised at what you remember. And they might trigger something with Ron.

All the best.......and nice to meet you. You are definitely related, but not necessarily by marriage, lol. Quite common in Jamaica, to be honest. Which may be why your grandmother didn't know or remember.

I use www.familysearch.org for most of my Jamaican research and their records are excellent. The other good site is the one by Pat Jackson of Jamaica that she gave to the London University a few years back. I transcribed many things on there, but their search engine is the pits. It's at http://www.jamaicanfamilysearch.com/index.htm

Btw....see posts #16, 17 and 18 in this thread for the information I put out there on both the English and Jamaican Cookes. Good luck!!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    Ma-dotcom, Sis and talk2robb like this.
  10. talk2robb

talk2robb New Member

Wow that is a stunning amount of information. I will try and decipher tomorrow as my brain is shot right as it's late evening in the UK right now.

The Tommy name doesn't ring any bells. But then I don't know Cooke names apart from my dad Eric who was born in 1949. He was the result of an unmarried relationship.

All I know is my dad had 3 uncles and met them when he was 10 in 1959/60. One of the brothers had a new build property in Kingston near Maxfield Avenue.

Grandfather Cooke died in the late 60s and the only name I've heard his could be is Brenton, but I'm not confident that is his name. I've done a DNA test but can't define the paternal line matches. So it's lucky dip with the cousin's. I've even heard that we are related to the late Governor General Sir Howard Cooke but I have no way to confirm that.

I will check out that site you recommended, I need to figure out how to get historical land records from the 50s and 60s as I have a road, and once I use Google Maps, get my dad to point out my uncle's property using street view. This is going to take some serious investigation lol.

Thank you so so much for your help. I wish the matches on Ancestry were this prompt and helpful, but most of them ignore your messages.

Regards,

Robert

Ma-dotcom, Sis, Figgs and 1 other person like this.
  11. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

I am stuck on one fact........there were 3 Cooke brothers but they were living in Cuba when Castro took over in 1959 I would assume. Tommy who is the youngest worked for an airline, probably Air Jamaica, and even though he had "pull", it took him two years to get seats for himself, his mother and a young boy. No idea who he was....spoke no English.

It just so fits, lol.....except for location. However, they did grow up in Westmoreland (west end of the Island) and probably travelled back and forth to Cuba. I remember the exact years because in late 1959, just before I met Ron, I holidayed in Miami Beach and a lot of Cubans were trying to get there to "freedom". And then we met up with Tommy Cooke, his mum and the young lad in June of 1961 on our honeymoon!!

Just a gut hunch. I wondered why his mother (Rosalina Ferrer Cooke) went back to Cuba and got searching on the Mormon site and found that their father (Thomas Hylton Cooke) died in 1950 at age 53, so she was widowed. I assume they were married in Cuba bc I can't find a certificate in Jamaica. So that does explain why she was back there. I just found her surname on the death certificate, so that was an added bonus.

Ron thinks young Tommy had one child, but has no idea who his wife was. She certainly did not exist when he escaped. So I guess it is just coincidence and wishful thinking that YOUR 3 uncles were these 3 brothers. I am simply guessing. And as Tommy Jr. was the youngest, doubt the others are still alive. Both went to the US anyway.

I could swear I told you this, but the two older brothers were in Cuba during the Revolution and Richard was in jail and forced to join Castro's army (or else).......the oldest brother got out and went to the US and joined the USAF. So they were not seen after that by Ron.

Just some thoughts.......often gut hunches lead me somewhere and this was nagging at me, lol. I searched for a "Brenton Cooke" in Jamaica and nothing. The Cookes mostly lived in St. Andrews, Kingston, btw. Just so you can narrow it down. Thomas Sr. died there at Hope Road.

Night........:D

Ma-dotcom, talk2robb and Sis like this.