Holy Moly!! A fascinating ancestor!!

Discussion in 'Cheshire' started by Figgs, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Kimberly Spence

Kimberly Spence New Member

Small world. My grandfather is listed on that website as Isiah Cooke. He is from the same Cooke family from Chester Castle. His grandfather (Dr. Cooke) had an affair and my greatgrandmoter (Wilhelmina Matilda Cooke) was the result of that union.

GrannyBarb, Sis, Bay Horse and 3 others like this.
  2. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Definitely related!! Nice to meet you. I see you are in Florida....many Jamaicans moved there. Raymond McIntosh who put me onto this tidbit lives there. There is another property called Windsor Forest and my husband used to go there with Tommy Cooke as a teenager. Tommy went to Cuba and escaped when Castro took over.

"Affairs" were very common in Jamaica and I have now met up with 3 descendants of the outside children from this series of posts....one up here, one in New York and now you in Florida!! Amazing how far Jamaicans have spread out....have another in Hawaii. Let me know if I can help. :)

3. Kimberly Spence

Kimberly Spence New Member

Yes, I am sure we are related in some way. My great grandfather went to Cuba as well but his last name was Malcolm. I believe the Malcolm's were also estate owners but in an area named Haddo which is also in Westmoreland. He was not able to return from Cuba and we don't know much about that side of the family.

4. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

No, it is very difficult to get any sort of info out of Cuba. One of Ron's great-uncles was taken there in the early 1900's as the parents both died.....another Figueroa took them to his home as it was common to work in Cuba in those days. I got lucky because another Figueroa told me he trained as a dentist in the US and I found his school records and Immigration papers and they gave me his "father", his wife's name and where he lived......Havana.

Tommy Cooke got out with his mother and nephew because he worked for an airline, but it still took 2 years as the seats were solidly booked.

Ron remembers the name Haddo, but he hasn't lived in Westmoreland for a long, long time. He went to lower school there but moved to boarding school in Kingston at a youngish age. (9 maybe).