John Ward, tailor

Discussion in 'London' started by annabel, Feb 17, 2018.

1. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

This may be a long shot, but can anyone help me find out more about this man?

I know his uncle Stephen Ward lived in Bermondsey, and from the birth dates of his cousins I have an estimated birth of about 1790. I don't know his parents, but I would like to

In 1814 John Ward was a tailor of Broad Court, Covent Garden - from his uncle's will

A possibility for him in 1841 is a John Ward born 1786, a tailor of 63 Chandler Street, St Paul Covent Garden, with Sarah b 1791, and Eliza b 1826, all born in county. Piece: 741; Book: 3; Enumeration District: 10; Folio: 38; Page: 17

Any more thoughts gratefully received

2. Sue036

Sue036 Well-Known Member

I have only looked quickly, but I don't see a John Ward, tailor, b. Middlesex in 1786 (+/- 10 years) in the 1851 census, nor in 1861.

The GRO online historic death index at www.gro.gov.uk has an entry for Ward, John, age 54, 1841, December Quarter, Strand Union, Vol. 01 P. 305.

The above death MIGHT be that of the John Ward you have in the 1841 census, but it is not an uncommon name. A PDF copy of the cert. would set you back £6, but I don't know if you know enough about 'your' John to be able to positively identify him, or rule this John Ward out, from a death certificate? In any event, it wouldn't tell you anything about his parents, unless one of them outlived him and registered his death, which is unlikely.

Sue

annabel likes this.
  3. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Just to note, this is Chandos Street. It is still there, albeit now called Chandos Lane.

I had a rummage along the street in 1851, but could not find anyone likely. :(

Sue036 and annabel like this.