Missing Comedian

Discussion in 'Stage & Screen (and Radio too!)' started by Daft Bat, May 30, 2022.

1. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

Yup, makes sense to me - just a shame more marriages cannot be found, but maybe there weren't any.

Daft Bat likes this.
  2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Thank you :)

Yup, it would not surprise me if there were no marriages either! :D

Bay Horse likes this.
  3. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I agree :) I'd love to know where the Danes came in. I did wonder if it might have been spelt Daines - but that drew a blank too :sceptical:
    I've just found Jane Danes listed in the 1911 Directory of Ealing - at least that backs up the fact that that was what she was calling herself.....
    upload_2022-6-2_14-51-27.png

I've just found a court case in the Ealing Gazette of the 7th November 1903 in which a "Mrs Danes of Glenfield Road, Ealing" was a witness, but it says nothing else about her. So, she was calling herself Danes in 1903 :nailbiting:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
    Ma-dotcom, Jellylegs and Daft Bat like this.
  4. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Has anyone found what happened to Eleanor Jane's son, William James?
    If she is to believed in 1911 she had 3 children 2 still alive, so he must have been somewhere, but I cannot find him, given the variety of surnames used, I guess he could be hiding behind any one of them:eek:.
    FMP has an entry in the National School Admission Registers & Log-Books 1870-1914
    The Queen's School, for boys, Kew Surrey
    for William Brandon dob 24/7/1887 (shame there is no dob at his bap)
    of 15 Cambridge Cottages, entered school in 1896 and left 27/4/1897
    The only trouble with this entry is his father's name is given as Thomas:(:nailbiting:

5. AnnB

I’ve looked and failed too MM, I came to the conclusion that he didn’t like any of his mum’s names and found one of his own :rolleyes::D

Ma-dotcom, Chimp, MollyMay and 2 others like this.
  6. Daft Bat

:D

7. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

@MollyMay - I saw that school entry, but wasn't sure because of the father being Thomas.

I have just had another look and there is an entry for a George Brandon, d.o.b. 31.12.1889, who left on the same day as William (27.04.1897), also with a father Thomas. The address given for George was Strand on Green. The addresses would be where they were living when they were admitted to the school - 13 Nov 1894 (William) and 02 Nov 1896 (George).

8. Daft Bat

I need to take a breather and will then dive into the sons' travels through time.... :rolleyes:

9. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I found two instances of a family becoming some-one others, at least one was because of a crime & prison sentence. They reverted to original surname in later years. I cnnot remember about the other one or whether I just didn't find out the why of it.

AnnB, Chimp, Daft Bat and 1 other person like this.
  10. AnnB

Just to get you started (although you may have found these already)......

In the West Middlesex Gazette 26th October 1935 page 9 is a report of George Alfred Willmott of 11, Maple Grove Ealing, a motor coach driver, appearing in court for speeding (39mph in a 30mph limit :nailbiting:).

The 1939 Register has a George A. (DOB 30.12.89) and Lily M. Willmott living at 11 Maple Grove.

George A. Willmott married Lily M. Bell July Qtr 1919 Hammersmith (mentioned before).
    This marriage is on Ancestry. George gives his father as George Alfred Willmott, an Actor and one of the witnesses is a Charles Claridge. He signs as George Alfred Willmott.

This is a family which just keeps giving .....:nailbiting::reading::D

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
    Ma-dotcom, Chimp, MollyMay and 2 others like this.
  11. Daft Bat

Thanks, @AnnB :)

I have really gone off this lot.... :headbang:

12. AnnB

:D:D

Bay Horse, MollyMay and Daft Bat like this.
  13. AnnB

But now we're back on them......:nailbiting:
    I was looking for some clues in the papers when I thought 'Hang on a minute, this is all beginning to ring a bell' and was just going to add a post to the other thread when Arthur beat me to it :D
    I'll have a rootle later on and see if I can find anything new :)

Ma-dotcom, Daft Bat and arthurk like this.
  14. AnnB

My rootling has found George W. Brandon, the comedian, I've found several mentions of him as follows -
    upload_2023-6-24_15-22-8.png

I know he wasn't your primary interest in all of this, but it's nice to have confirmation that he trod the boards :) There are other mentions of him, recorded as G. W. Brandon and Geo. W. Brandon and he also seems to have appeared in plays other than comedies. However as an actor/comedian I can't find anything much after 1886. There's mentions of a G. W. Brandon who ran the Brandon Combination Company and arranged a fete and gala in Merthyr Tydfil, reported in the Merthyr Express 8th February 1891, but whether this was George and he had given up the stage - who knows.

I've also found this which might be of interest -
    Middlesex County Times 25th March 1951
    The death occurred on Wednesday week of Mrs Lily May Willmott of 11 Maple-grove South Ealing. She was formerly manageress at Messrs J. Lyons and Company’s Ealing Broadway and Hammersmith Broadway branches. Aged 60, she had lived in Ealing all her life and was one of the earliest supporters of Brentford Football Club. Her death occurred in West Middlesex Hospital after a long and painful illness. The funeral took place on Tuesday when cremation was made at Golders Green. Mourners were: Mr G. A. Willmott widower; Mrs R. Cornish, sister; Mr Bell, brother; Mr and Mrs J. L. Bell brother and sister-in-law; Mr Harry and Elsie Lewis, nephew and niece; Mr Joe and Mr Lew Bell. Among the flowers was a wreath from members of Ealing Police. Mr G. A/ Willmott wishes to thank friends and neighbours for their great kindness and sympathy in his bereavement and all who sent floral tributes.

I'll keep looking :reading:

15. Daft Bat

Thank you @AnnB The mention of WILLMOTT certainly caught my interest! :)

AnnB likes this.