Robert Bow and Marion Rankin

Discussion in 'Stirlingshire' started by Huncamunca, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

If you stumble across the following address, then a James BOW lived there. He travelled to New York, landing on 11th October 1909, aged 22, and was a journalist.

3 Albany Crescent, Glasgow

2. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

What a good find, Mutters, thank you. :) From that it looks as if Bogside was earlier the home of the Rankin/Ranken family and that the Bows were at Auchenrivoch (which is where my 'Family Register' says Robert Bow was born).

That is an excellent idea. I hope to visit Kilsyth, as my ancestor George Park was a doctor there for many years; it would be good to take the Bows back home at the same time.

Mutters likes this.
  3. Huncamunca

I am hoping that I may be able to find out more, Wendy: I have discovered that there are many surviving records for the asylum where Robert spent so much of his life. They include 'admission warrants' and case notes. I shall be writing today to find out if I can obtain copies. They may make grim reading, but I feel I need to know why Robert was locked away for so long.

Mutters and Ma-dotcom like this.
  4. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Huncamunca likes this.
  5. Huncamunca

Chimp likes this.
  6. Huncamunca

Some updates from Scotland's People . . .

The statutory death register tells me that 29 year old John Bow was single when he died of phthisis pulmonalis on 29 March 1892 at 383 St George's Road. The informant was his brother James E. Bow of 158 Woodlands Road, Glasgow (which is also given as John Bow's 'usual residence').

In his will he left everything to his brothers William Rankin Bow, Peter Bow and James Ebenezer Bow.

Peter Bow was still living in Larbert in March 1894 when he made his will, in which he said 'I Peter Bow son of the deceased Robert Bow Coalmaster Kilsyth . . . do hereby leave and bequeath to my brothers William Rankin Bow and James Ebenezer Bow and their respective issue whom failing to the survivor of them and his issue. All and sundry Means and Estate heritable and moveable real and personal of every kind and description...'

By the time Peter died, in that New Zealand asylum in 1898, his brother William Rankin Bow had succumbed to the same disease that killed John Bow in 1892.

James Ebenezer Bow did not leave a will, but after his death in 1899 my great-great-aunt Jane Bow (by then a widow) is mentioned in documents on Scotland's People as the 'Executor dative of the deceased', along with her children 'Robert Rankin Bow, Marion Bow and George Clark Bow', they as next of kin and she as their administrator in law. James Ebenezer Bow's inventory included half the value of the estate of his late brother Peter. I have to conclude that neither Peter nor James had any children of their own.

Thus despite having seven children and three grandchildren, Robert Bow and Marion Rankin probably have no living descendants at all.

Out of curiosity I have obtained details of the marriage of Robert Bow and Marion Rankin from Scotland's People. They married at Bogside 'according to the forms of the Free Church of Scotland' on 3 December 1857. The marriage register gives more detail than English registers, telling me the names of both parents of the bride and groom. Marion Rankin was the daughter of William Rankin and Agnes Cleland, while Robert Bow was the son of John Bow and Helen Robertson (deceased). Perhaps I will start looking for more distant relations now . . .

Mutters, mugwortismy cat and AnnB like this.
  7. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Methinks you will have a convoluted journey ahead, although surely there must be some connection between all the Bows and Rankins? I'll have a look at the papers for anything which may help.

Best wishes
    Ann

Huncamunca likes this.
  8. AnnB

Well, I've been looking, but needle in haystack springs to mind :(

The names Bow and Rankin aren't exactly uncommon in Scotland! The only notices I have found, so far, don't really tell us much - except how unlucky the family was as regards children.

Glasgow Herald
    At Bogside, on the 3rd instant, by the Rev. William, Burns, Mr Robert Bow, coalmaster, Kilsyth, to Marion, daughter of William Rankine, Esq.

Dundee Courier
    At Bogside, Kilsyth, on the 12th inst., of scarlatina, Robert, aged 3 years, son of Robert Bow, Esq., coalmaster.

Glasgow Herald
    At Bogside, Kilsyth, on the 18th inst., of scarlatina, Agnes Clelland, aged 5 years and 4 months, only daughter of Robert Bow, Esq., coalmaster.

Robert Bow was obviously a pillar of the local community as he was on about every committee going, but that doesn't help!

Will keep looking.......
    Ann

Huncamunca likes this.
  9. Huncamunca

Thank you Ann, it is very kind of you to plough through the newspapers for me. ():-)

Don't be surprised if this thread is in a different place next time you see it: I have asked the mods to move it to Stirlingshire. Not sure what made me put it in Lanarkshire in the first place.:confused:

10. Huncamunca

There's a long obituary for William Rankin Bow in the Falkirk Herald of 1 February 1896 [under heading 'Kilsyth']:

DEATH OF MR WM. BOW, LARBERT. - By the death of Mr William Bow which took place at "The Hollies,", Larbert, on Saturday, a link connecting the present with the past has been severed. The family with which he was connected have been known here for generations. Deceased's father was tenant of Bogside and a mine owner in the district, and in his day took a part in the public affairs of the town. The son, now deceased, carried on the colliery for a time, but being inexperienced in that line of business, he soon gave it up, and apprenticed himself to Messrs Galbraith, writers, Glasgow, latterly setting up in business on his own account in Glasgow. About seven years ago he was appointed secretary to the Larbert Asylum, in which position he has all along discharged his duties to the satisfaction of the directors. In April last he was laid aside from work by an illness, and was confined almost wholly to his bed until his death. He was married to Miss Jane Park, second daughter of Dr Park of this place, who has been left with three children to mourn the loss of a husband who has been cut down in the prime of life, and in her sorrow she will have the sympathy of a large section of the community, as her husband was held in high esteem by all who had any dealings with him. He was buried here on Wednesday, the funeral being private.​

I have only just noticed that the previous news item in that issue of the Falkirk Herald is a report of the funeral of Dr Hugh Park. He was the brother of the Jane Park who married William Rankin Bow. Poor Jane lost a brother and her husband on consecutive days. :(

The Scottish War Graves Project has a photograph of a memorial at Kilsyth to William Rankin Bow, his widow Jane (who remarried, and lived to be 90) and their youngest son George, who was killed in action in 1917:

http://
    scottishwargraves.phpbbweb.com/scottishwargraves-ftopic511-0-asc-30.html

(see post made on 17 June 2008 at 12.17 p.m.)

11. AnnB

I found the obit for William after I signed off yesterday and was going to post it today - but I must admit to not noticing the mention of Dr Park. As you say, poor Jane. I think you really are going to have your work cut out to find any family members who survived what life seems to have thrown at them.

Ann

12. AnnB

I'm still looking :)

I found the following in the Edinburgh Gazette of the 17th July 1849

The Copartnership of the Subscribers, the Sole Partners, hitherto carrying on business under the Firm of WILLIAM BOW & CO., in the Parish of Kilsyth, as Coalmasters and Manufacturers of Roman Cement, &c, and at Port-Dundas, Glasgow, as Coal and Cement Merchants, is this day DISSOLVED by mutual consent; which Dissolution being occasioned by the retirement of William Bow, the Business will be continued as formerly by the other Partners, under the Firm of Bow & Co,, who will pay all debts and received all payments due by and to the late Firm as well as fulfil all their engagements.

PETER BOW
    WILLIAM BOW
    EBENEZER BOW
    ROBERT BOW
    George Muirhead, Witness
    Thomas Stirling, Witness
    Auchenrivich, Kilsyth, July 2 1849

I am presuming this is Robert, his two brothers and his father?

I'm sure there must be more to be found in the Edinburgh Gazette. You will find the above at http://www.
    edinburgh-gazette.co.uk/issues/5875/pages/671

Ann

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  13. Huncamunca

oh, thank you Ann
    {-(^^)-}

That notice you found in the Edinburgh Gazette is most interesting. It ties up very nicely with a will I've found for a Peter Bow, coalmaster at Port Dundas, who had siblings Ebenezer, Robert and Marion according to the results listing in Scotland's People (he was dead by 1870). (I will need to buy more credits to see the will as I just spent my last ones on probate records for their father John Bow, who died in 1872. Will report back on that a bit later.)

I suspect the William Bow who was retiring in 1849 is another brother of Peter, Ebenezer and Robert. The baptism entries indexed on FamilySearch have a gap between Elizabeth (born and bapt. 1813) and Ebenezer (born and bapt. 1818), so perhaps that is where William belongs. Indeed there is a tree online which says he was baptised at Kilsyth in 1816:

http://www.
    shaweb.net/kilsythscotland/2/20218.htm

so I have pencilled him in but am still looking for confirmation.

Thank you again for your help, Ann. The more we look, the more it seems that this whole family just fizzled out. I'm afraid the Parks didn't fare much better, but that story will have to wait for another thread.

AnnB likes this.
  14. AnnB

Glasgow Herald 18th July 1869
    Suddenly at 17 Holmhead Street [Glasgow] on the 17th inst., Peter Bow, coalmaster.

Ann

Huncamunca likes this.