1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When and Where Did Thomas Angrove Marry?

Discussion in 'Nottinghamshire' started by Bonzo Dog, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman

I forgot to ask the other day. Have you seen the article by Steven Leeke: The Leke (Leeke) Family? It was published in the Leake Historian (Volume 9) and also, I believe, in the Transactions of the Thoroton Society (or something published by them).

Bonzo Dog likes this.
  2. Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog Still the Mad Scientist?

Have been a touch preoccupied trying to fit visiting my wife in with resolving household problems caused by my autistic grandsons, anyone want a dead toaster? Can also recommend Buster for unblocking bathroom sinks, and let you know that Coca Cola kills tropical fish PDQ.

Thanks for the lead Flook. My Leake branch is a new find, so will look at literally anything. Have found a place reference on a par with Thorpe in the Clods - Dirty Hucknall, plus the fact that when recording an illegitimate birth, the vicar who served at Wymeswold from 1575-1619 referred to the mothers as harlots, and on one occasion, strumpet. :)

The data CD has yet to arrive, so still plenty yet to come to keep me out of mischief. :rolleyes:

Sandiep and Flook like this.
  3. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman

I'll see what I can do. Good luck with juggling all your responsibilities:).

Bonzo Dog likes this.
  4. Bonzo Dog

At least it keeps boredom at bay. :D

Flook likes this.
  5. John Matthews

John Matthews New Member

I am descended from this marriage. Did you ever manage to sort it out?

Bonzo Dog, Chimp, Sis and 1 other person like this.
  6. Bonzo Dog

Yay, we are related!!

Leads very kindly rooted out for me by Flook led me to a Nottinghamshire marriage licence data CD, which yielded the following for 1664:

Screen Shot 2017-12-23 at 06.20.36.png
    The assumption is they were married at St Laurence, Thorpe. Their daughter Elizabeth is my 7X great grandmother. She married Daniel Fernihough, who became the vicar of Bunny.

7. John Matthews

John Matthews New Member

Their great great grand daughter Hannah Angrave was descended from William (your Elizabeth's brother). She married John Matthews and they were my great great grand parents. Have you ever extended the tree any earlier?

Ma-dotcom and Chimp like this.
  8. Bonzo Dog

Unless I have got things wrong (not impossible), then Elizabeth is the youngest of the 6 children of William Leake, Gentleman, (1603-1660) and Katherine Street, married at St Michael Hallaton Leicestershire 5 June 1627. The children, all baptised at St Mary, Wymeswold, are:

William baptised 29 June 1630
    Samuel baptised 7 August 1632
    Mary baptised 3 July 1634
    Daniel baptised 10 September 1636
    John baptised 2 December 1638
    Elizabeth baptised 26 January 1642/43

William's father would appear to be Edward Leake (1581), and his father also Edward.

The following useful set of comments was entered into the Wymeswold registers

wymeswold register 1665-1700 notation.png

GrannyBarb likes this.
  9. John Matthews

John Matthews New Member

Thanks for this. I also concluded that Elizabeth was the daughter of William Leek and Kathryn Street, but as you may know, there is a fly in the ointment. Hunter's Familiae Minorum Gentium (vol 3 p. 1035) gives Elizabeth's husband as one John Subbery. Have you ever investigated this possibility? FMG-Leek.jpg

GrannyBarb likes this.
  10. Bonzo Dog

Have to say I've never seen this tree, but have to express some scepticism as to its reliability. Can't help noticing the query against Elizabeth's marriage, and where did Joan come from?

The author of the tree would appear to have found the Bond for the marriage between John Sudbury and Elizabeth Leeke to be celebrated 29 October 1670 at Shirland, a small village about 5 miles north of Alfreton in north Derbyshire, and nowhere near Wymeswold or East Leake. According to the Bond Elizabeth was aged 22; my grandmother would have been 27.

John Matthews likes this.
  11. John Matthews

John Matthews New Member

Thanks, that's very useful - I've never found that bond. I share your scepticism about the tree. The information probably came from the Okeover family who don't seem to have had detailed knowledge of their cousins. The lack of dates also argues for an informant who had limited knowledge of the family.

Bonzo Dog likes this.
  12. Bonzo Dog

This intriguing comment was also found in the Wymeswold registers. Great for someone researching William Leake and Rachel:

wymeswold register 1638-1664 notation.png