William Wilkinson, my first illegitimate ancestor?

Discussion in 'Hertfordshire' started by Findem, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Findem

Findem The Fearless One. Rest in Peace.

I found my ancestor Dorathy Wilkinson in Sawbridgeworth, one of six children of a William Wilkinson, no Dorathy is not the illegitimate ancestor, it's is her father.

The children:-

Katherin 1635 daughter of William Wilkinson.
    Mary 1637 daughter of William Webster als Wilkinson.
    William 1639 son of William Webster als Wilkinson.
    George & Dorathy 1645 son and daughter of William Wilkinson.
    Annie 1648 daughter of William Wilkinson.

The Vicar as of 1631 was Christopher Webb he had a legible hand and didn't water down the ink too much, a pleasure to read. Christopher wrote the entries of the first three children, the remaining three children's entries were in a different (scruffy) hand so perhaps by 1645 he had a clerk (William Hughes?) to write the entries up for him. My impression is that prior to the baptism of Mary in 1637 someone, probably one of the church wardens, said to Christopher something along the lines of :by the way did you know that William Wilkinson is the b****** of ? Webster".

That would see William the father born around 1609ish, I'm now wondering if his birth was down to that rascally William Wilkinson a Londoner. In a previous post/topic I mentioned:

"Merabula ye daughter of a Londoner baptised ye 11 (or 12) day of August ye name of ye childs father is William Wilkinson so it is sayd."

So was this c1609 William Wilkinson the second escapade of the Londoner William Wilkinson? He might still be on the rampage 21 years after Merabula.

Just for the Record:
    Aug 24 1630 Christopher Webb clerk inducted.
    Feb 22 1669 William Hughes clerk inducted.
    A list of Sawbridgeworth Vicars was on one of the flyleafs of the register D/P 98/1/1.

It's going to be fun finding the mother o_O :eek: but at least I know she is a Webster, as for finding the Londoner William Wilkinson, father of William c1609, it might be a heap of fun I think not! I might be able to find William c1609 but he might be the end of the line. Back to Sawbridgeworth baptisms and scruffy faded writing I believe. shudders.

2. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

You're really doing well for that far back, Findem! I have an illegitimate great grannie, but no hints what-so-ever for her father and a 2x gr. grannie who was also illegitimate, but her mother was her father's housekeeper for years and the kids sometimes appear on the census with her name, other times with his. Mine are all from the 1800's..you are so much further back.

Sis and Findem like this.
  3. Findem

Well I've been at the game a good many years but there are a couple of things that have helped.
    I've no doubt spent more time researching than I should have.
    Had lots of help over the years

Other helps have been Essex PRs coming online thanks to the Essex Records Office and for quite a while free to use. :D

Also I haven't spent a lot of time chasing the children of ancestor siblings, although I do try hard to capture all ancestor siblings, their marriages and burials of them and their spouses. If I can find their children I will note them in the notes attached to their parents.

I think the combination of the above has helped me move forward easier, or rather backwards easier. Some might consider my overall method a sort of cheating but hey it works for me. :cool: :D

Like most people on here I do have a burning desire to know who my ancestors were and as many as I can find, they are responsible for who I am and somebody has to take the blame. :D

Along the way I have found and been in contact with a whole heap of cousins related to me in varying degrees, even to a fifth cousin living around Ontario Canada.

Daft Bat, Half Hour and Sis like this.
  4. Findem

Regarding Wilkinsons, in the Sawbridgeworth baptism which start at 1558 there are none until the 1588 Merabula then none until 1635 then after 1648 (children of William Wilkinson & Jane Galloway) no more, that batch of Sawbridgeworth finish at 1657. No Galloway and just one Branch(e) a Thomas Branch baptised 31 Mar 1611 son of George.

Now back to looking for the baptism of William Webster alias Wilkinson c1609

Half Hour likes this.