John Connell

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Amle, Jul 3, 2013.

1. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

One would hope so ;) Unfortunately it's known that the procedures were a bit shaky in those days and some deaths did go unregistered. Deaths in the workhouse or the workhouse infirmary nearly always were registered for the simple reason that the registrars were workhouse officials.

Not being able to find a civil registration for his death may reinforce my suspicion that he was on out-relief and someone somewhere missed a trick so far as civil registration was concerned.

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Have you ruled this one out?

John CONNELL, September quarter 1853, Marylebone registration district, volume 1a, page 276.

Now, I know that the September quarter seems a bit out of kilter but.... if he died on 20th March, that is very nearly the June quarter and if, as Peter has made mention, there might be a delay if he was on out-relief from the workhouse, it could possibly be him. Then again, it might be someone completely different. :)

However, I would be very tempted to get the certificate, if only to rule it out. But then again, I am very good at spending other peoples' money.... ;)

By the way, I have a several great who died on 27th August 1851. His death was not registered until 10th December that year.

3. Amle

Amle Well-Known Member

It's done. I haven't treated myself for a while. I will let you know if I get the right one and Peter I will check for any workhouse records. Thanks Elizabeth

Daft Bat likes this.
  4. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

I will keep everything crossed!{-(^^)-}

5. Amle

Amle Well-Known Member

It didn't work, the certificate wasn't mine, never mind it might have been. I will just have to accept my John Connell's death was not registered. I've still got the workhouse records to check.

6. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Sorry you missed there Amie, possibly your John was away from the workhouse when he died-by whatever means, health loss, accident,whatever- & no-one knew who he was?

Amle likes this.