My grandfather David Llewellyn Jones 1870-1937

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Mrs Huma, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Mrs Huma

Mrs Huma Canadian Cousin!

Sorry, was really busy yesterday, didn't open up computer til this a.m.

David Llewellyn Jones, born 2 Feb 1870 St Mary Paddington, London, to David Jones and Eliza Griffiths.

Wendy :)

2. Mrs Huma

UK and Ireland, Masters and Mates Certificates, 1850-1927 - my grandfather is not there. He may have gotten his master mariner designation in Canada. I have a newspaper article where he was in the Fisheries department and was giving evidence of a two ships who crashed in the fog and how they did not signal properly. I'll have to dig it out.

Joanne likes this.
  3. Mrs Huma

Has anyone ever heard of a patent for a fog signaling apparatus? I just got this the other day from a 2nd cousin. I'll be back later. I have sent a request to the Canada Archives, in case they have sometime for a certificate of a master mariner.

Thank you for your help, Wendy aka Mrs Huma

Attached Files:

Joanne and Ma-dotcom like this.
  4. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Very interesting report Wendy. I've been trying to find mention of the Patent but so far no good.
    Tried LLoyd's shipping also- re-Captaincy. As you say quite probably aquired in Canada.

Mrs Huma likes this.
  5. Mrs Huma

Hey Wendy, Here in Victoria, we also have the BC Maritime Museum and they have a number of collections. I should go and inquire to see if they have old lists or some such for master mariners. Who knows the BC Archives may have something too. This has driven me crazy for years. No one seems to know much about him and I really need to fill in the blanks. Thanks for all help you can dig out. Wendy :angel::cool:

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  6. Ma-dotcom

Sounds like your Master plan for your near future Wendy, to get this Man sorted& cleared up.
    The Patent has me very interested, it's been noted [where] & named Jones Patent, but where & when was that paper from, was it an application & proved.?
    I read a lot of these in' tranny' work for Ancestry in Australia. Very interesting what you come up with.

7. Ma-dotcom

This may be a place to check out Wendy;-

http://www.
    trademarkcanada.org/Patent-Registration-Canada.htm

Joanne likes this.
  8. Mrs Huma

It makes me wonder if it ever got "patented", instead of just a brochure and some sort of display. I've been trolling through the BC Directories and it appears he goes between stevedore and sealer. In 1904 he is listed as a master mariner, living with family at 27 Ellice St in Victoria (James Bay). Boy they sure moved around. But at least I now have a date for master 1904. :D

9. Mrs Huma

I don't think it would have been filed in Canada/BC because he never technically stayed in BC. I heard a story that he arrived in Victoria from somewhere - with a woman in tow - and was on a world tour?? I must ask my sister, she might remember more. She is a lot older than me.
    TY, Wendy :reading::nailbiting::eek:

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  10. Mrs Huma

Hey Wendy - Have a look at this newspaper article I found, digging for information. Wendy :)

Attached Files:

Joanne likes this.
  11. Ma-dotcom

Brilliant find Wendy! What an excellent keepsake.
    I was sorry not to still have 'World sub' to have found local newspaper articles . I'd found a lot from Lethbridge [Lethbridge Herald]when looking up Family there & Medicine Hat. Keep on digging Girl!
    (+)(^^)(+)

12. Mrs Huma

I have found the article where my grandfather and another person were the assessors for the "Tartar" and the "Charmer". http://archive.org/stream/dailycolonist19071123uvic/19071123#page/n1/mode/1up
    Hope this is okay with Admin and the Mods.
    Wendy

13. Ma-dotcom

What a good write up, I had to look twice when I read names concerned, as they are same as mine in Alberta- 1950s mine- Put it on hold to finish as the print was still small after enlarging.

14. Mrs Huma

I've tried to find the rest of the article (says Page eleven) but alas, its not there. Must peruse each page. To get the print larger, I had to hit the + sign 4 or 5 times, eventually goes to a 'large print' like a book from the library.

Ma-dotcom likes this.