Photo - Give Me A Clue!

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by kernowmaid, Mar 23, 2016.

1. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Well-Known Member

More photos - could one of these be in the photo above?

1 Joe Halsall b1890 (so 9/10 when his mother died - the children were farmed out, so maybe ...) He's the man on the right.

2 Edward Halsall b1889 (so 10/11)

As the Industrial Schools took boys to age 14y, maybe ...??

The lad at the front is holding a Scroll - passing out certificate??

Jane

Attached Files:

Bay Horse and Ma-dotcom like this.
  2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I've been mixing it up on Excel with unpleasing results. Kept losing my colour fills in the wrong place.
    Imagine if you will- the Finland flag, with a George Cross Flag in top & bottom corners next to pole ( the image is in reverse in photo) then add the flags of Scotland & Wales in other corners. Or some such crosswise marks. Can't put too many images here I think.
    I'm not a flag maker but it kind of sounds like the photo-ed flag looks. o_O
    Unknown flag.JPG Finland Flag.png George Cross Flag.JPG other bit.JPG ok,I'll go now.:oops:

Attached Files:

Nightryder and Bay Horse like this.
  3. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

White background with blue cross, then in each even quarter section a red cross?
    I'm also wondering if the boys neck kerchiefs are red rather than blue. Indeed if blue then a lighter shade.

4. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Almost that Sue, the far corners which are hard to view- folded over show a distinct X in two other colours with white. probably light blue & red.
    I may have done it in reverse,- perhaps the main hard colour across the middle is Red. with blue ones in the corners instead of George Cross.

5. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

It does look like some sort of ceremonial picture, the scroll and the cape to the lad in the middle and behind him one with the jacket and cap and the another with just a cap (1st 2nd and 3rd) perhaps.

Bay Horse likes this.
  6. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

I'm thinking along the lines that Wendy mentioned, that the flag could be the flag of the school/institution, I suppose it's feasible that a school/institution might have a flag of it's own design, wonder if we'll ever know!

7. Archie's Mum

Can any very clever person decipher the wording on the wooden box to the left?

8. Archie's Mum

In a black and white photo doesn't red show up as lighter than the blue used on the Union Jack?

9. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Just tried A M and it's beat me, I've tried viewing it with paint, magnifying it both as it is and upside down. :(

10. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

The boy in the "officer's" uniform is wearing a rosette or similar on the right side of his jacket - as is the boy in the "hood" but nobody else. The boy to the "officer's" left is the only one wearing a cap and he also seems to have something like an anchor at the neck of his blouse. Nobody else is wearing one. And the boy in the hood - what is the white "frilly" at his knees? The flags have eluded me. I thought it might be sea scouts or sea cadets but neither of those flags match anything I've found - assuming it is in Britain of course.

AnnB likes this.
  11. Archie's Mum

I've been coming back to this photo quite a bit today but something keeps telling me that this is not an English photo. The hats on the boys have a French or European look to them, as does the double breasted uniform on the one boy. Then I reread your first post in that you say "her grandparents emigrated to Canada in 1906". Could it be a French/Canadian school?

Ma-dotcom and AnnB like this.
  12. Archie's Mum

I think that's his pants tucked into his gaiters.

13. Archie's Mum

A local Boys Naval Brigade?
    Not enough of them to be a school.

14. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

:headbang: So it is, Sue, and he's on one knee, right? At first I thought it was attached to the scroll (which would have made it a scroll-like thingy not a scroll) but then ............

Looks as though we have a Captain, a Bosun, and a crew - all showing a distinct lack of jollity - but of what? (Forget the 2 rather fierce minders, if the rest came clear they'd be explained automatically).

Has anyone yet come up with an idea of when this was taken?

15. Archie's Mum

Those 'collars' if you look closely are all a little bit different and nothing like what a uniform would have. Wonder.....school play?

16. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

I agree A M, when I first saw this photo the hat on the boy with the uniform type jacket looked a bit German/Austrian, then there's the hat on the boy to the right of him in the photo it looks more like a Beret.

It's a puzzle alright! When all's said and done I can't somehow see a European country putting a British flag in the photo, surely it would only be Britain or a Commonwealth county who would!

if the photo were taken in a European country or a Commonwealth country it would add another possibility to the list, a State or Province flag.

Ma-dotcom and Archie's Mum like this.
  17. Archie's Mum

The cape appears to be made of a tulle or fine net that has lost it's stiffness. maybe through lots of use.
    Oh what a mystery! :rolleyes:
    But don't we love it!

Ma-dotcom and Bay Horse like this.
  18. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

Absolutely!

19. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

Check out the middle illustration. I thought the "scarf" worn by the photo boys was very similar to the navy uniforms myself. What a shame the original isn't in colour.

naval college.JPG

Also, I've been thinking maybe Maritime College instead of Naval College. They taught all sorts of maritime skills with the view of graduation to the Merchant Navy, RN, or even commercial shipping lines.

Ma-dotcom, Bay Horse and AnnB like this.
  20. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Here's someone else who has been completely drawn in by the photo! I think I must have looked at every photo of groups of boys dressed up as goodness knows what that the Interwebby has to show :rolleyes: (there's probably a law against it.....) I must admit that my idea of Empire day went out the window, when I found most of the other pictures of Empire Day celebrations were just that - celebrations with happy faces! This lot look as if they have been told not to smile on pain of death. They must be a group within an establishment of some sort, 'cause there are so few of them. The building behind them looks like a school building or even a church, and I have no idea what it says on the box....
    The young lad in the middle with the 'officer's' uniform is either playing his part very well, or really considers himself a cut above the rest.

There has to be an answer out there.......

Bay Horse likes this.