Uniform Query

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by MollyMay, Apr 30, 2017.

1. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Well-Known Member

Maybe he's done a lot of horse-riding!

Archie's Mum and MollyMay like this.
  2. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Oh Flook, how clever of you - I must have mislaid my copy of the barber and toilet manual:D

Thank you so much, it does thwart my original theory, but I can now go looking for young men in the later time frame (born around 1880).

I so wanted it to be someone born 1850's (hence my appeal for independent ideas) but I think you are right he is a much younger man.

3. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Well-Known Member

Perhaps your Nan had a sweetheart who didn't make it through the Great War? Or is this sensitive ground?

MollyMay likes this.
  4. MollyMay

Not sensitive - nan and grandad married in 1906 - she had had 6 live births by the outbreak of WW1, only dad and 2 older sisters survived of those 6.
    My mystery man does resemble dad - but it could be just the moustache leading me astray (although he does have 'our' big ears too:eek:). So I am going to concentrate on my grandfather's family and see if I can find a likely candidate hiding there:)

Archie's Mum likes this.
  5. MollyMay

upload_2017-9-22_16-16-30.png
    L - R dad at 29, 26, and the mystery man - is there a family likenesss?

Archie's Mum likes this.
  6. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Not sure but your mystery man has a very strong jaw and deep set eyes and heavy brow :)

MollyMay likes this.
  7. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Good point Flook, made me wonder if the younger version was a cadet, but then I noticed the angle of the corporal chappy's leg was different-almost on the lean which could be hiding most of the leg stripes--older uniform too. Wearing medals, so he has been out & about a bit. Just below those medals & just under the pocket is what looks like a name or word/ letters, but I cannot enlarge well enough to see what it may be. Then below his wrist is what looks like a kerchief or some such spilling from a lower pocket or sash,- large hands in both photos.

MollyMay likes this.
  8. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I see the same jaw line & if you discount the curls of the chap in the photo, the hairline is the same. However your Dad presumably had two parents so other genes at work here too. Also the nose I think & ears.

Molly May I think one of my lot had the same problem as your G'Dad's father. His large brood split around the area & only a few seemed to stay in touch, hence my Mother only really knew of two of my G'Dads sibs. I know hugely more than she did, probably with help from her after she left this earth.

MollyMay likes this.