Where can we find Johnson-Breen records and history, Killarney?

Discussion in 'County Kerry' started by Philippa, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Hello Clarry's Daughter. Lovely to meet you.

2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Hello from me too Clarry's Daughter. C|:-) You've really sussed our Philippa haven't you? Often tho' she chats in comic form & graphics so it doesn't get too hard on the ears.
    I'd best be off now.:D

Philippa likes this.
  3. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Hello Clarry's Daughter, nice to meet you. Hope your trip to Ireland is everything that you want it to be.:)

4. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

Oh lovely cousin - a HUGE welcome. I hoped you'd pop by. These TD-ers are amazingly friendly and helpful and you should feel right at home in about 3 seconds.

I have just sent you an email with information about a Breen Family Tree page on FB. I wonder if the Kay O'Leary whose name is so prominent in all those bits about the reunion is also the "owner" of the page and knows more about the author of the book mentioned there? It might pay you to see if you can reach her (or whoever) via the message facility on the page.

You go, girl, there's so much out there to discover!!

(Miss you, by the way).

XXXX

she04, LianeH, Ma-dotcom and 2 others like this.
  5. she04

she04 Active Member

Lol a surname like oleary is very common in Ireland. Good luck, n i hope yr successful in locating family members. Try the local library also, they could homd obituaries, travel news of which ship went to Australia n from what town it travelled etc. Xx

6. Peregrine

Peregrine Well-Known Member

Welcome Clarry's Daughter. I hope you enjoy your trip to Ireland and make some great discoveries about your family. Killarney and the area surrounding is a lovely place to visit, so I am sure you will love being there!

7. Clarry's Daughter

Clarry's Daughter New Member

The search for my Johnson/Breen ancestors has taken an interesting twist. I reached out to Kay O'Leary - I found her through photographs of a Breen family reunion on the Lyreacrompane website (thank you, Archie's Mum) and reference to her in a newspaper article. I contacted the newspaper and lo and behold, Kay contacted me. It sounds like she's from a different branch of the Breen family - her line comes from Ballydunlea townlands by Tralee, and there is another Ballydunlea townlands by Killarney, where from the few references I have it sounds like "my" Breens lived. Kay did find a reference in her family records of a Charles Johnson who married Mary Breen of Glencar (Killorglin, Killarney) on February 1, 1832, and who had a daughter Mary on December 30, 1832 and triplets on May 21, 1838. But all this is half a century before the Mary "Mollie" Johnson I'm looking for, who according to her marriage and death certificates was born in 1893. Just an eerie coincidence, I suppose. I am totally a novice at this research (not like my cousin Philippa, who is the genealogy pro in the family), so any suggestions for how/where to proceed will be gratefully accepted - where I could go to look for Mollie's birth certificate maybe? According to Kay, Breen is a fairly common name in Kerry but Johnson is not.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  8. Clarry's Daughter

Clarry's Daughter New Member

G'Day to you all :). I'm still figuring out how to work this site and just saw all your messages. Thanks for the kind welcome, everyone. If I get nowhere with the research, it's still fun to hunt and peck and see what turns up.

Daft Bat, Sis and Philippa like this.
  9. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

Keep hunting and pecking, cuz, and who knows before long that might well become digging and delving. After all, my fascination came about after I'd looked around to answer one simple (so I thought) question. And what are you doing? Sama sama, kiddo. :) XXX

10. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

In the meantime,- that is one very fetching avatar.

11. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

I've always liked that photo, Wendy - it's so like her.