Can you find the Clitheros

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Elsiesgirl, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

John Pluthers death Sept 1882 Brentford. 3a 65 287 age 40 could be the father.

Elsiesgirl and Grizel like this.
  2. Elsiesgirl

Elsiesgirl Well-Known Member

No I think it is the same family

3. Elsiesgirl

Well this is great. I do think these are the Clitheros but why they changed their name I don't know. Protheroe is not an awful name and they didn't move out of the area so it's unlikely to be debt. Thank you so much everyone who has looked and Grizel who first found them. I've looked at all sorts of versions of Clithero but would never have thought of Prothero. :):):)

Archie's Mum, Grizel, Sis and 2 others like this.
  4. Elsiesgirl

I'm going to put all the new info into chronological order of when and who changed their surname before I put them onto my tree. My aunt will be pleased. :)

5. Elsiesgirl

Well, I've looked at them all and John was the first to change his name when he married in 1888, or perhaps earlier. His father died in 1882 and in 1891 the rest of the family were still Plutheroes. In 1901 Sarah, John's mother had changed her name and all the remaining of her children in the family home to Clithero (trascribed as Clithers) I haven't yet found what happened to Elizabeth and Eliza who probably got married. I'll keep looking to see what name they married in. I no longer have any doubt that this is the same family. I wonder what happened to make them change their name? Some family scandal or other?

Archie's Mum, Sis and Grizel like this.
  6. Elsiesgirl

Found that Eliza Pluthero married Andrew Alexander Berrows in Jul 1894. In Dec of that year she had a son Frank Andrew and also died that same month. Very, very sad. A bit of a scandal but not enough I think to make the Plutheroes change their name was about Andrew Berrows, the widower. In Jul 1894 he was found guilty at the Old Bailey along with another man, of sexual assault. He unlawfully assaulted Susan Plant with intent to ravish her. They both got 6 months hard labour

Grizel, Archie's Mum and Sis like this.
  7. Archie's Mum

Well done, 'Eagle Eye Grizel' :D

Grizel and Elsiesgirl like this.
  8. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Poor Eliza - and not a great choice of husband either!

But re the name change , it's possible that it wasn't deliberate and both names just came into casual use by the family. Although the spelling is very different they do sound similar and in those times it is easy to see how they could be confused and interchanged.

Separately if you google around there is interesting information about Chiswick New Town where Bennett Street is.

Sis and Elsiesgirl like this.
  9. Elsiesgirl

You're probably right and thank you, I will google Chiswick New Town. I agree, poor Eliza and poor little Frank. In 1901 Frank was with his grandmother and her other children still at home, and in 1911 he was with another family member. It looks as though he never went back to his father after he came out of prison or perhaps he never lived with him. Andrew Berrows started another family and remarried.

Sis and Grizel like this.
  10. Elsiesgirl

I found Elizabeth, the remaining Plutheroe sibling that was missing, died in 1887 and the death was registered as Clithero. Perhaps with education at last they decided how they were going to spell it

11. Elsiesgirl

I googled Chiswick New Town and it was really interesting. It seemed it was quite a prestigious place to live, no wonder John Clithero bragged about being born on Bennett Street in the 1911 census.

Grizel, Ma-dotcom and Sis like this.
  12. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Could the Plutheroe pronunciation come about by some one with a mouth / dental problem?

Grizel and Sis like this.
  13. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Good point Wendy, I would never have thought of that:rolleyes:

Elsiesgirl likes this.
  14. Archie's Mum

House of names or one of those surname sites has Pluthero and assorted takes on it as a Welsh name. As in Rhydderc or Roderick meaning reddish brown. Heaven knows how they get Pluthero from Roderick. :confused:

15. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

A possibility! :)

Looking around, the Pluthero/ Pletherow type surname is in evidence from at least the 1700s in London and Oxford.

Quite independently (I think) one of the major landowners in the Brentford area was the Clitherow family of Boston House. This makes me wonder that if the Clitherow surname was in common use in the area there would be all the more reason for the two names to get mixed up.

Of course it could have been a deliberate name change for some unknown reason as you suggested......
    Mind you if we have the correct John junior, he was very young when he married as a Clithero - could just have been the spelling the registrar heard!

I doubt you will ever know for sure tho...

Sis, Ma-dotcom and Elsiesgirl like this.
  16. Elsiesgirl

I don't think we'll ever know for sure. There were other families of Plutherow in the area at the time and the Plutheroes had been in the are for a long time before John married Louisa Kidd. The year before his marriage his sister's death registration was in the name of Clithero so I think the name change was some time in the early to mid 1880's and I do think it may have been deliberate but I can't think why

Sis, Ma-dotcom and Grizel like this.