Handwriting: John or Thos?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Stafford, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Stafford, please can you post details of your 3xg grandmother, we can then work backwards from her.

Mutters and Ma-dotcom like this.
  2. Stafford

Stafford Well-Known Member

Mary Ann Leonard was born sometime between 1814 and 1820 in Ireland, possibly County Mayo.

In 1840 she gave birth to her daughter Ellen Leonard in Buglawton. Ellen's father was Joseph Booth (another brickwall).

In 1841 Mary b. 1816 was living with her "parents" Bridget and Michael Leonard in Astbury, Cheshire. HOHO107/2167/149/8. Also living in the household were John b. 1821, Sarah b. 1826, Michael b. 1831 and her daughter Ellen.

In 1851 Ellen is living with her grandparents Michael and Elizabeth (Bridget) Leonard in Buglawton, Cheshire. Michael and Bridget both died in the Arclid workhouse.

Sometime between 1841 and 1871 Mary Ann marries a Mr MORAN. I've explored a possible marriage in Manchester in 1863 and census records for Mary and Thomas Moran living in Manchester. Both were eliminated. Ellen lived in Hulme and Chorlton on Medlock, Lacashire in the 1860s.

In 1871 Mary MORAN b. 1820 in Ireland, a silk winder and married is boarding in Leek and Lowe, Staffordshire. (RG10/2880/75/32)

In 1881 (RG 11/80/35/2738) Mary Ann's recently widowed daughter Ellen Buxton and her grandchildren are living with her in Leek and Lowe, Staffordshire. Mary Ann MORAN b. 1818 in County Mayo, is an unemployed widower.

Mary Moran died in Leek and Lowe in July 1881.

Without the missing census records Mary Ann is very difficult to pin down. Hence my search for a relationship between John, Thomas, Ellen and Mary. I have a few tenuous links and they are very remote. John and Ellen both lived in Royle St, Congleton, in the 1850s. All were Irish silk workers. John, Mary Ann's brother, disappears after 1841.

3. Stafford

Whoops! Something went wrong! Meant to say widow not widower.

4. Mutters

Mutters I am not bossy, I just have better ideas.

Sorry Stafford, not been able to search today but I hope I'll get a chance to have another look tomorrow or the next day.
    It has been very interesting and I do think there is more to find if we can get our head around it. I can now see where you are coming from and wanting to arrive at. ;)

Hope to get back on the trail soon.

Stafford likes this.
  5. Stafford

Thanks Mutters, all help much appreciated. I'm enjoying the search and I live in hope that one of the Leonards or Morans I follow will lead me to my GGGgrandmother.