Lipmans of Aldgate

Discussion in 'Middlesex' started by Adam McGregor, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

In the book for marriages for the New Synagogue this is what is put
    Julia Lipman age 20 father Lewis Lipman address 1 Phillis Building
    Married Joseph Lipman age 22 father Lewis Lipman 1 Phillis Building
    date 6th June 1849 taken from Film 94668 ref 716 N7

Sis likes this.
  2. Adam McGregor

Adam McGregor Active Member

They were brother and sister? :confused:

3. Sandiep

not that I am aware of ….Jewish names are a mystery to most of us names were often given when they arrived here and many doubles!!

4. Adam McGregor

'Julia Lipman age 20 father Lewis Lipman address 1 Phillis Building
    Married Joseph Lipman age 22 father Lewis Lipman 1 Phillis Building'

But they live at the same house. Is the transcript wrong do you think?

5. Sandiep

No that's not unusual on Jewish marriage or sometimes even other marriage certs they only needed an address. you will often find only one given
    on 1841 Julie is living at 1 Cutters street st Botolphs Aldgate at least that's what it looks like her parents are Lewis & Mary Lipman
    I think you will find Josephs parents were Lewis and Catherine Lipman nee Sanders
    Try this tree on Ancestry the lady kerryirene has a lot of information and even some certs and I think from checking some people I know are correct that she would be able to answer your questions her tree is called Wood, Lipman, Collins, Knight and Heath

she has Julia,s marriage cert on tree to see

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    Sis likes this.
  6. Adam McGregor

Ah, that makes sense. Yes, I've seen a couple of Lewis Lipmans before. Unfortunately I don't have subscription account so I can't contact her :(

7. Sandiep

I will send her a message for you if you PM me your email although I think you can contact even without a sub

8. Adam McGregor

Thanks! I'll do that now.

9. Sandiep

got your message have sent her a contact hope you hear let me know

10. Adam McGregor

I definitely will do. Thanks!

11. Adam McGregor

She emailed me! Thanks again.

GrannyBarb and Daft Bat like this.
  12. Brian Leapman

Brian Leapman New Member

My name is Brian Leapman, and I am Jewish, and looking your thread I think might be a linkage of common ancestry. I have a relative who died in Glasgow in 1874, whilst visiting Glasgow from Brighton. Isaac Leapman. He was born in 1797. However, what I also know is that the generation before had a slightly different surname, which I thought might be Lipman. The question I asked why was Isaac in Glasgow, and also who buried him, and why does he have a nice headstone in the Eastern Necropolis. So here is a supposition. Was Moses/Moss Lipman the younger brother of Isaac born in 1811, and was he visiting his sister in law and nieces and nephews when he died, maybe there was wedding that year? Rachel was Moses wife.

13. Brian Leapman

Brian Leapman New Member

The reason I think this might be the case is because in ou handed oral history, and family tree, our supposition was that the family name was Liebmann also which seems a remarkable coincidence. What we also know is that the father of Isaac and possibly Moses if they are brothers married Charlotte MacDonald. The MacDonald name has been passed down our family name ever since, through first born sons. We do not have a confirmed first name for the father, but like you Eliezer comes up as a possibility??

14. Brian Leapman

Brian Leapman New Member

I would be interested to know, and this might confirm our connection if there is an oral history passed down to any of you of what trade the family were in in Germany, and who their major client was? If any of you come up with the same answer I have then we will some missing pieces to further share. Look forward to your replies.

15. Sandiep

possibly his wife Frances she proved the will

She was Frances Abrahams they married 1822 in the great synagogue

Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
  16. Sandiep

forgot to say he was down as Isaac Lipman his father was Eliezar Lipman

I dont personally have a connection to your family just a number of jewish books and hubbies ancestors some were jewish

17. Andromeda

Andromeda Tenacity is her middle name

According to his death certificate on Ancestry he was a commercial traveller & the informant appear to have been his son.

The certificate says he died 6 May & the death was registered 7 May, so on the surface it looks like his son was with him, BUT I'm pretty sure that the burial register says he was buried on 6th May, having died on the 4th. (From other registers I've seen, I believe that the first three columns after the page fold are for Age in years, weeks & months, with 4th column being date of death).

The cause of death in the burial register ("old age") is also different to the death certificate.

Code:
    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHV-F3ZK-1LX9?cat=1323530

18. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Hi Brian. Sorry but I can’t answer your question re Lipman bc I was just looking them up in London. They were in the tailoring and dressmaking trades. Their descendant was a friend I have lost touch with (David Lipman)

19. Nick

Nick New Member

Hi, I have been researching the same. I have some valid information that i asked a qualified person to conduct and these are her thoughts :-

Jonas is the son of Lipman ‘Eliezer’ Lipman, although they don’t appear on the census. The marriage certificate is confusing because both the father of Julia and the father of Jonas are named as Lewis. However, it is not conceivable that they were brother and sister. Lipman’s Hebrew name was Eliezer and this often translates into English as Lewis. Also the Freedom papers quite clearly show Jonas’ father was Lipman.'

I am however sure that Jonas is the son of Lipman ‘Eliezer’ Lipman. We know that Lewis ‘Yehuda’ Lipman had a daughter Julia, and we know from census records that Lipman had a son Joseph. We know that Joseph and Julia married on the 6 June 1849 at the German Polish Synagogue and that the certificate listed both fathers as Lewis Lipman. We also know that Jonas Lipman married Rachel Jacobs on 4 July 1849 at the German Polish Synagogue. Again the father is recorded as Lewis. Since brother and sister would not be allowed to marry, we can assume that the synagogue scribe used the English translation of Lipman’s Hebrew name Eliezer (often translated as Lewis - several records of this in my husbands family).

The best evidence however, is the fact that both Jonas and Joseph received the Freedom of the City on the same day, 28 October 1856. The individual documents record: Jonas Lipman lived at 13 Ebenezer Square, his occupation was fruit dealer and his father was Lipman Lipman a Publican of Middlesex Street. Likewise Joseph Lipman is recorded living at 1 Ebenezer Square, occupation Traveller and his father Lipman Lipman a publican of Middlesex Street.

The London City Electoral Register of 1855 records Joseph at 1 Ebenezer Square, Jonas at 13 Ebenezer Square and Lewis at Still Alley.

In my opinion you are correct to assume that Jonas is Lipman’s son.

20. Nick

Nick New Member

I wanted to know if my 3rd great grandad Jonas Lipman's father was either Lipman Lipman / Lipman Eliezer Lipman or 'Lewis Lipman - I was having the same difficulty with the marriage cert's, this makes perfect sense what she has found, i hope you all agree? :)