'The Other Man'

Discussion in 'Divorce' started by dizzyme, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

According to the Yorkshire Post & Leeds Intelligencer of 2 June 1953, a Monty Vane Tempest was in a production of Noel Coward's 'This Happy Breed' . . . so perhaps we are getting warmer?

The (Dundee) Evening Telegraph of 4 October 1947, talking of an actress called Louise Ralston, said she had married M. Vane Tempest ten years previously.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
    Figgs, AnnB, Flook and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Woweeee! Well done Huncamunca :). We all knew if anyone was going to find anything, it would be you. You really are a star. :)

Huncamunca, Half Hour and dizzyme like this.
  3. dizzyme

dizzyme Well-Known Member

Totally agree!!! 8(:-)8(:-)

Ahhh, the names are switched around! I was on the Newspaper Archive yesterday didn't think to look there for him though :oops:

Karen

4. dizzyme

Well spotted Philippa! Will look into the Vane-Tempest line.

Karen

5. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I went into the theatre lot in newspapers but when I found one I could read it turned out to be a woman! thank goodness Philippa & Jane were on the job.

dizzyme likes this.
  6. dizzyme

I have 20 credits left for the newspaper archive, which is the best article re Montague to look at?? :confused:

Karen

7. dizzyme

Am going to look at the Dundee Evening Telegraph....

8. dizzyme

Ooops, not the one where Louise talks about marrying MVT.. Can't find a marriage that suits. They could have married anywhere.

9. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

One newspaper snippet I came across mentioned Louise Ralston was born in Plymouth. I suspect that Ralston was not her birth name as I cannot find her in the GRO index using that name. Nor can I find a marriage 1936 - 38 between Louise and Monty/Montague, perhaps they were stage names and the couple married using their birth names.

Huncamunca and dizzyme like this.
  10. Huncamunca

This may be nothing at all to do with 'our' Montague, but it popped up when I asked Google to find sites mentioning both Vane Tempest and Montague, so I'm posting it just in case. It's from the New Zealand Herald, 24 August 1907 (on the 'Papers Past' website):

'Some time ago a paragraph went the round of the papers stating - as a remarkable coincidence - that the finger prints of a veterinary surgeon named Vane Tempest, arrested in Capetown, were found to be identical with those of Montague Thacker, who had been in custody at Bloemfontein . . . The Commissioner of Police in New Zealand (Mr. W. Dinnie) was amongst those who doubted the correctness of the discovery, and he wrote to the police authorities at the Cape asking whether the report which he had read in the papers was correct. He has received a reply [which] states that Vane Tempest, who was brought up in Capetown, is identical with the man who, under the name of Thacker, had been previously tried and convicted in Orange River Colony.'

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  11. dizzyme

What an amazing story! Maybe MVT saw this article and liked the name so used it as his stage name. Surely it can't be the same person??

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  12. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Tempest.....
    Based in Ryhope they owned vast estates in the area during the 18th century. When the male line died out the lands passed to the Vane family who took the name Vane-Tempest as acknowledgement of the source of their wealth. This family in turn left a sole heiress who married Charles Stewart, Marquess of Londonderry, which is how the Irish title of Londonderry acquired the name Stewart Vane-Tempest.
    hotspotz.com./Ghosts_World_Wide
    I wonder if the Hon. Edith Chaplin is related to Charlie!

dizzyme likes this.
  13. Huncamunca

Thank you for your kind words, Mealymoo: they really cheered me up :)

Unfortunately we seem to be no nearer to finding out who the elusive Montague really was. I did see a newspaper reference to a Miss Louise Ralston of Stirling being a bridesmaid in the early 1930s, so it may be worth looking at Scotland's People and other Scottish sites for possible leads. Otherwise we will just have to hope there is some other snippet about Montague in the divorce file at Kew.

I don't think the chap in South Africa can be the same . . . unless 'our' Monty was still on stage at a very advanced age.

AnnB, Mealymoo and dizzyme like this.
  14. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I've been searching through the papers too in the hope that something might leap out at me :rolleyes:
    Other than all the various mentions of Louise and Montague, the article referred to above says
    Angus Evening Telegraph 4th October 1947
    Appearing north of the border for the first time, Plymouth-born Louise Ralston plays the part of Agnes Isit in a "A Man About the House" at the Opera House, Dunfermline, this week. She is appearing with the Gaiety Players, who begin their new repertory season to-night at the Opera House. Miss Ralston started her stage career as a ballet dancer, but a strained heart made her decide to be an actress instead. Trained by the late Kate Rourke, she toured with rep. companies in England. Her husband, M. Vane-Tempest, is also appearing with the Gaiety Players. They have worked together almost continuously since marrying ten years ago.
    Doesn't help really, as I can't find Louise tripping the light fantastic either.....

Ann

dizzyme likes this.
  15. dizzyme

Thank you Ann :)

If 1947 was the first time they appeared north of the border, it seems unlikely that they married there.

There doesn't seem to be any 'Ralston's' in Plymouth in the 1891, 1901 or 1911 census.

Interesting couple!!

Karen

16. MargaretMarch

MargaretMarch Member

His 'legal' name is whatever he calls himself and whether or not it was a stage name - he was entitled to use it for whatever purpose unless it was to deceive. It may be that the husband, who brought the divorce, did not know any other name for the man than the one cited and it would not be necessary to find out any other details to 'name' him in the divorce.

dizzyme likes this.
  17. Sandra Parker

Sandra Parker Well-Known Member

Humpty Doo, Northern Territory, Australia
    Well we wouldn't get far in this line if we weren't! So it comes with the territory.
    Like a game of Hide and Seek. They hide and we seek!
    Sandra

dizzyme and Ma-dotcom like this.
  18. LianeH

LianeH Well-Known Member

Karen, as with your Waldenses I can have a look for this next time I go to Kew which I'm hoping will be one Saturday in June. If you message me the divorce details I'll see what I can fine

dizzyme likes this.
  19. dizzyme

Thank you Liane, it is very generous of you to offer. Will message you.

Karen

20. MargaretMarch

MargaretMarch Member

Is it worth asking the actors union Equity if they have any records or if they can point you in the right direction?

Here's some information about them and they operated a 'closed shop' union presence in the performing arts:
    http://en.
    wikipedia.org/wiki/Equity_(trade_union)
    so it's most likely your two were registered and maybe some records survive.

There's a note on their site about stage names: http://www.
    equity.org.uk/about-us/join-us/how-can-i-join/your-professional-name/
    and it refers to them being in use for 70 years so I guess they must have some records for at least that long.

(Links split as Wikipedia asks for donations and Equity has a subscription page)

Last edited: May 18, 2014
    dizzyme likes this.