MacCallion (Collins) History prior to 1860 (Catholic)

Discussion in 'County Tyrone' started by Ferrfuzz, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Ferrfuzz

Ferrfuzz Active Member

Discovered Bridget, and just ruled her out too :p

Ahhh! You have hit the family brick wall. I have no "correct information" on Rachels parents. Possibly not Woods, but Woodwards (?)

Archie's Mum likes this.
  2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Sister used to live on Grenfell Road, Young. Just a bit out of town,
    Used to love 'Young Maid" tomato relish. Can't get it any more. Nice cherries though. Soon be cherry season.

3. Ferrfuzz

Ferrfuzz Active Member

LOVE Cherry season!! Know Grenfell Rd.. Not well, but know where it is.

4. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

This isn't really any help for linking one generation to the next, but might give some idea of other variations of spelling. It is a list of flax growers in County Tyrone in 1796:
    http://www.
    failteromhat.com/flax/tyrone.php

There is a Luke M'Callin in Donacavey, I see. There are numerous other names on this list which might be variations on this one - some with the M' and some without. Anything that could sound the same might be the same: so perhaps M'Gillian and maybe even M'Elhone? Not to mention others not on this list, such as M'Killian, M'Allen etc.

It's a nightmare searching databases for names like these, because they might be spelled M' or Mc or Mac and if they've been transcribed with a space between that and the rest of the name, then you might have to search just for the end part of the name. :(

Try doing site searches for any/all of the variants you can think of on the excellent County Tyrone website here:

cotyroneireland.com

There for example they have an index to the tithe applotment book for Donacavey, 1827, which has people called McCallen and McCallin in various townlands in the civil parish of Donacavey. They also have very useful maps of townlands:

cotyroneireland.com/townlands/townlands.html

Ferrfuzz likes this.
  5. Ferrfuzz

Ferrfuzz Active Member

Thank you. I will go trolling through ;)

6. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

There is a small problem with the age of Rachel. Post #1 has her born in 1792 but in 1841 when she arrived here the shipping record has her age as 37 making her dob c1804.

7. she04

she04 Active Member

Hi Ferrfuzz. My Patrick Collins b1898 in co.tyrone. Ive to find his birth layer today at proni. While I'm there Il check out what I can for you. I must forewarn u tho, records are scarce that old in Ireland as most were lost in fires in 1922 n census destroyed by order of government for confidentially reasons. Some records that did survive, proni will have in Belfast for n.ireland. Il let u know how I get on. X

Ferrfuzz likes this.
  8. Nightryder

Nightryder Well-Known Member

Ferrfuzz, I lived in Harden for about 10 years when my family were young.

Ferrfuzz likes this.
  9. she04

she04 Active Member

I had no joy with my own searches today n never got round to looking into yrs but I'm back at proni Friday. My husband says the surname mccallion is very common here x x

Ferrfuzz likes this.
  10. she04

she04 Active Member

Ferrfuzz, fintona is under 3 districts lol Donacavey has only C of I - marriages 1800-1950, baptism 1800-61 n 1864-1936. Earlier records lost in fire n after dates given, at the church. Kilskeer is same as Donacavey. Now Drumragh I'm doing too for my gr.gran rc baptism, but silly me didn't write dates. I'm back up Monday. I did do a name search on their catalogues n there were no hits x

Ferrfuzz likes this.
  11. she04

she04 Active Member

Ferrfuzz - Drumragh, baptism, marriage n burials RC 1846 n 1853-81. After 1881 they r held in local custody.
    C of I records - at proni baptism 1863-1960, marriage 1905-79, burial 1864-1934. Before dates in fire, after dates in local custody.

Ferrfuzz likes this.
  12. she04

she04 Active Member

Looking thru baptisms I didn't come across ne maccallions YET. Il b back up in 2weeks time coz son off for half term. N if I come across ne maccallions n woods/woodward Il write en down. As I'm looking thru both RC n C of I for myself.

Ferrfuzz likes this.
  13. Ferrfuzz

Ferrfuzz Active Member

Hey there so sorry I've been missing for a while.. Life has been a tad insane.
    Puffling through things in the last few months I have found a little more on Owen McCallion, but haven't ever found anything on Patrick, son of Patrick McCallion, Donacavey.
    I know all the Donacavey papers and records I need are one of the batches totally destroyed in the fire.
    Now the weather is cooling down I will get all my discoveries updated ;)

14. Ferrfuzz

Ferrfuzz Active Member

The dates are before 1840 are the ones I need for Patricks parents and then circa 1854 for Owen.
    Birth certificates etc for Patrick and his children are all between 1790 and 1838.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    she04 likes this.
  15. she04

she04 Active Member

Il try tithe n wills for u when I'm up this week, see if any of your names pop up x x

Ferrfuzz likes this.
  16. Ferrfuzz

Ferrfuzz Active Member

On the path of a skeleton... Owen Mc (Mac) Callion. Born 1814/15.
    Due to there being no surviving records, it is unknown if he was the eldest son of Patrick (McCallion) Collins-1793-1883, or whether he was the youngest brother of.
    His wife Anne and their children migrated 1855/56 after the 'apparent death' of Owen in 1854/55.

Somewhere in my digging knowing if he did in fact die at that time there should be a record of his death.. The only death record for an Owen McCallion (and all variations bar Collins) born circa 1814; is 1885 in Inishowen.
    Now what I have also found (and I have no idea where I saved it) is an incarceration of Owen McCallion b: 1815, for Absconding from a Workhouse, Circa 1854.
    I can find nothing more until birth of a daughter Bridget in May 1866, to Bridget Faron. (Farron, Faren, Farrin, Farran, Faren-MacCallion) Father Owen McCallion B:1815.
    There is no record of Bridget ever marrying or of Owen marrying. They are listed as spouses and parents of 8 children, (5 of the children I have confirmed to be children of Owen McCallion B:1815)
    Bridget 10 May 1866,
    John 23 Dec 1867,
    Philip 29 Jan 1870,
    Owen 4 July 1871,
    Catherine 28 Mar 1873,
    Mary 13 Nov 1874,
    Charles 6 Nov 1876,
    Margaret 25 Dec 1878
    I have found the death records for most of the kids.. But that was mainly of curiosity at this stage.
    So here's where my thinking is at.(this is my thinking I need some help as to how I could confirm my theory and possibly fill in the gaps)
    *The illusive Owen McCallion husband of Anne Gorman, got himself in the ****.. Whether he lost all income and respect, or Anne left him, or he left Anne ???? The brain boggles.. But somehow he ended up committed to a Workhouse (we know in theory people were free to leave, but that wasn't what happened in reality)
    Owen attempted to leave the Workhouse and was subsequently sentenced to jail term. Upon his incarceration his younger brother/nephew brings Anne and the children out to Australia to be cared for by family.
    Owen was released from prison, (when????) And became involved with Bridget, possibly got her pregnant (?) and went on to have a second family.

Where do I go from here??

she04 likes this.
  17. Ferrfuzz

Ferrfuzz Active Member

Thank you;)

18. she04

she04 Active Member

Aha, now I will look into local workhouses in co.tyrone. I know nothing of workhouses here so will find out what I can for you. Bear with me for a bit lol, may take me a while to learn where n how to look for you. This will be interesting. Also court assizes would have been held in Omagh. There should be a record and a newspaper report about it. Il look into that also. X x

19. KerrieAnneC

KerrieAnneC New Member

By coincidence I live a couple of suburbs away from where Patrick died in 1883. Also I am descended from Ellen McCosker/McCusker nee McAllina and they were from Tyrone - Dromore - Fintona - Lettergesh - Omagh areas - and some of us are wondering if McAllina could be yet another spelling for McCallion MacCallion - McCallen, McAllen, Collins. Ellen and her husband Bernard emigrated to Australia in 1837 on the Adam Lodge

GrannyBarb likes this.
  20. Collinsbm91

Collinsbm91 New Member

Hi, my name is Brydee Collins. I'm hoping and praying that this is still relevant. I'm trying to expand my personal Family tree. My grandfather is Raymond Keith Collins 1921-2017. His father is George Frank Collins 1881-1976. His grandfather was Patrick Collins 1837-1918. I have a family tree from my Aunty which was written by my great grandmother that states my 3x great grandfather as being Owen Collins. Now I'm hook and want to know more.

I have an ancestry account and have a lot of gaps. But what I know is that George was a beloved dairy farmer. Born in Bega, NSW. Eventually hopping on a ship and travelled to Byron Bay, NSW. Then settled and made a homestead at Green Pidgeon, Kyogle NSW.

This is where my grandfather Keith was born before moving to Federal, NSW. He like his father was a keen farmer and fisherman. His first wife passed away and he married my grandmother Elizabeth Dorris Morrow 'Betty' and had my father. In the later part of their lives when their children were out on their own they settled in Alstonville, NSW. I live with my parents, my partner and our two boys on the same property Keith and Betty built a house and granny flat on.

GrannyBarb, Ma-dotcom, Sis and 2 others like this.